Despite immense popularity of mobile handsets in rural India in the last few years with almost everyone possessing one irrespective of his or her economic status, there are certain issues that these users are concerned about, when using different apps on them. There are issues of language support by the phone, limited storage space, reliability
of network connectivity as well as handset compatibility with different apps. The companies that have so far designed their business strategy with the urban youth or educated professional class in focus need to reorient their business approach to bring the rural farmers into the forefront of their business model.
This can only happen if the needs of the farmers are properly addressed by the companies involved in the business of developing mobile apps.
- The popularity of entertainment apps has made mobile phones accessible in every rural household.
- Yet, the low cost handsets which are mostly popular in rural areas have insufficient memory space and it is very difficult to push apps that are useful, but have no entertainment value.
- For such customers, the apps developed using Anant platform and bundled into the AppWallet can be used by companies to push value based apps without compromising on space.
- In spite of high mobile penetration in rural India, most farmers are unable to avail the full benefit of the digital technology and the primary reason is the constraint of language.
- English is the language of apps, but unfortunately, it is not the language our farmers are comfortable in. They can be reached only through vernacular languages.
- Anant Computing platform works with all Indian languages and has the tools for development of apps in local vernacular language.
- People living in rural area are generally not too tech savvy, and therefore it would be too much to expect him to be proactive in keeping all the apps he is using updated.
- The automatic update feature of AppWallet helps companies pass on the latest update of any app that the farmers have loaded on their phones and they don’t have to themselves keep a track of the latest that has come in the market. It is definitely a very efficient way of staying connected with the customer.